Complex Engineering Systems Cluster
Prof. Chris Rogers (Birmingham) is PI of the Liveable Cities Programme Grant
Prof. Richard Dawson (Newcastle) is internationally recognised for his research on infrastructure and urban systems modelling;
Prof. Michael Batty (UCL) is an architect‐planner who has pioneered the application of the complexity sciences to the growth and development of city systems.
Prof. Jim Hall (Oxford) is a member of the Committee on Climate Change Adaptation and leads ITRC;
Prof. Brian Collins (UCL) Director of the Centre for Engineering Policy and ICIF. He previously acted as CSA to two government departments.
Comms & data networks
- Prof. Erol Gelenbe (Imperial) Europe’s leading scientist in the performance of complex computer and network systems elected to five national academies.
- Dr. Lyudmila Mihaylova (Sheffield) is a Reader in Advanced Signal Processing and Control specialising in Bayesian methods, nonlinear filtering, statistical signal processing and data fusion.
- Prof. Visakan Kadirkamanathan (Sheffield) is the Director of the Rolls‐Royce supported University Technology Centre in Control and Systems Engineering.
- Prof. Marin Guenov (Cranfield) is Head of the Centre for Aeronautics and a globally renowned expert in future aircraft configurations, and advanced modelling and simulation concepts such as the Digital Behavioural Aircraft.
- Prof. Mark Price (Queen's University Belfast) is Professor of Aeronautics and Head of the School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering.
- Prof. Nick Jenkins (Cardiff) leads a research group investigating the development and operation of integrated energy supply systems across various scales from local to trans‐national.
Complexity Science Community Cluster
- Prof. Seth Bullock (Southampton) is a leading UK complexity scientist and Director of the Institute for Complex Systems Simulation.
- Prof. Nilay Shah (Imperial) is Director of the Centre for Process Systems Engineering, a research centre with 28 academics and over 100 researchers working on model‐based systems engineering.
- Prof. Daniel Coca (Sheffield) is a leading expert in nonlinear and complex systems and Acting Director of the Centre for Signal Processing and Complex Systems.
- Dr. Matthias Troffaes (Durham) is an expert in uncertainty modelling, risk, and decision making, with applications in engineering andenvironmental sciences.
- Prof. Frank Coolen (Durham) is an expert research on the development of statistical methodologies using imprecise probability with specific interest in applications in reliability.
Natural Complexity Community Cluster
Human response to risk and complexity
- Prof. Wandi Bruine de Bruin (Leeds) co‐directs the Centre for Decision Research at theUniversity of Leeds.
- Dr. Brooke Rogers (King’s College London) is a leading UK psychologist on risk perception, risk communication and extreme events. She chairs the Cabinet Office
Behavioural Science Expert Group for the National Risk Assessment and National Security Risk Assessment
- Prof. Nigel Gilbert is Director of the Centre for Research in Social Simulation at the University of Surrey. He specialises in the application of agent‐based modelling to understand social systems and behaviour.
- Prof. Lenny Smith (LSE) is a globally renowned expert in the mathematics of non‐linear dynamics and the development of coherent decisionmaking frameworks.
- Prof. Andrew Sterling (Sussex) is a government advisor on issues concerning uncertainty, complexity and power in the global politics of science, technology and innovation.
- Prof. J. Doyne Farmer (Oxford) is a leading UK complexity scientist and Director of Complexity Economics, with particular expertise in applications of complex systems to economics.
- Prof. Dave Cliff (Bristol) is Head of the Systems Research Group and a leading expert on adaptive automated trading systems.
- Prof. Jon Timmis (York) has extensive experience of working across immunology and computation with a focus on modelling and simulation. He is Director of York Robotics Lab and Co‐Director of York Computational Immunology Lab.
- Prof. Bob May (Oxford) previously CSA to UK government, is a world renowned scientist with expertise in the structure and dynamics of systems and their response to disturbance.
- Prof. Nigel Stocks (Warwick) is Head of the School of Engineering and the leader of the Stochastic and Complex Systems Laboratory (SCSL).
- Prof. Michael Balikhin (Sheffield) is the head of the Space System Laboratory and a leading scientist in the application of systems science methodology to the forecast of space weather.
Share the NEWS